According to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, how many people were classified as registered sex offenders in the United States as of December 4, 2018
HintNCMEC routinely updates the numbers. The registry has a social toll on registrants, their family and friends as well as the rest of the community.
When stating that the rate of recidivism is “frightening and high,” Justice Kennedy cited a 1986 Psychology Today article where a psychologist claimed (without any scientific evidence) that the rate was which of the following:
HintEven though the large figure has been used to justify federal, state and local laws, it has been disproven.
Multiple peer-reviewed studies have consistently shown recidivism rates for sexual offenses to be much lower than the 80% figure cited by the Supreme Court. Which of the following is a more accurate representation of actual recidivism rates:
HintThe updated number has been confirmed by subsequent federal and state studies.
4. The majority of sexual offenses are committed by repeat offenders.
Hint"Once an offender always an offender" is not a true statement.
5. Registries keep us safer.
HintMost offenses are committed by first time offenders. People on the registry have been subjected to vigilante violence.
6. More often than not, the person committing a sexual offense is a stranger to the victim.
HintThe "Stranger Danger" myth was strengthened by a few high profile, but rare cases combined with media sensationalism and shows like Criminal Minds.
7. Which law requires law enforcement authorities to make information available to the public regarding anyone who has committed a sexual offense?
HintThis law required public notification. Prior to this law, registries were used by law enforcement only.
8. Which law required anyone who commits a sexual offense to register with local law enforcement?
HintPatty Wetterling, Jacob's mother, has spoken publicly against public registries. She is quoted as saying the law has been hijacked.
9. Which law makes a distinction related to levels (or tiers) of offenses and also contains civil commitment provisions for certain individuals?
HintGeorge Bush signed the Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act into Law in July 2006
10. How long in advance must someone traveling out of the United States notify their local registry?
HintIf you're on the registry, never make last minute plans.
11. International Megan's Law requires stamps on passports indicating that the traveler has committed a sexual offense.
HintThe United States notifies other countries when someone on the registry is traveling to another country.
12. Residency restrictions are consistent across the country.
HintDoes anything about any of this make any sense?
13. According to the Supreme Court, registry laws are NOT considered punishment:
HintIf it quacks like a duck...